Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Balance, balance, balance

Hi :)

This week has been crazy to say the least. I went to the temple last week on Wednesday which means that my pday got switched to that day which means there was limited time to do just about everything which means I'm sorry I was a lame-o and didn't get a weekly email out. Anywho, the temple was fabulous. There is just such a special feeling that comes from being in the House of the Lord. My companions and I didn't want to leave. It made the idea of making our houses a temple seem so much more appealing and important. It means to me to make your house a place where the Spirit can reside. A place that people feel safe and loved. A place that feels different from the world. A place that people want to be. I definitely want to make my future home a happy place, a "heaven on earth" as it says in one of the primary songs.

So totally unrelated, being as STL (sister training leader) is nuts sometimes. We are literally on call therapists and babysitters. I say that with all the love in the world. Seriously. It has been a blessing and honor thus far to serve the sisters that I am over but boy was I naive and ignorant to all the personal problems that people are dealing with. I was struck by something my dad said in his weekly email to me. He was talking about how on the surface people seem to be fine but when you dig a little deeper many people are struggling. As a missionary, especially a sister, no one wants to be the "problem sister" so on the surface they lead everyone to believe that all is well when in reality they are working through trials and hardships. As an STL it is my responsibility to discern problems and help people realize that they don't have to deal with everything alone. The neatest part about my calling is the opportunity I have to constantly be looking outward and focusing on serving others. Part of being a missionary is helping your fellow missionaries stay strong and motivated. I have seen the Spirit work through me like never before. I am incapable without the help of the Savior to guide and council these sisters. Satan is working overtime on the full time missionaries. I have been blessed with the responsibility to help others understand their divine nature and the love that God has for them. Never have I cared for strangers more than those that I have had the privilege to serve on my mission. 

Sometimes it is hard to be away from my own area on exchanges but it is fun to meet other people and see that it doesn't matter where you are, the work is the same. I love seeing the confidence of the sisters I work with increase. They all have such incredible potential. It is amazing how when you serve others you get just as much if not more out the experience. Heavenly Father is definitely helping me to continue to develop patience and compassion. I am not as quick to judge situations. I am growing and evolving each day. 

I could not be more excited for General Conference coming up. I encourage all of you to prepare yourself for the messages that will be shared. We have been sharing a message with people this past week and will continue this week about the importance of Conference. In Mosiah 2:9 King Benjamin begins his speech to the people. This can be viewed as the first General Conference in Book of Mormon times. All the saints and those that choose to listen gather together to listen to an inspired message from a prophet of God. He says at the beginning of his speech, " My brethern, all ye that have assembled yourselves together, you that can hear my words which i shall speak unto you this day; for I have not commanded you to come up hither to trifle with the words which I shall speak, but that you should hearken unto me, and open your ears that ye may hear, and your hearts that ye may understand, and your minds that the mysteries of God may unfolded to your view." I love this verse because we are invited to have a desire to learn more of God and His gospel. Those that take part in conference work through about 18 drafts before they turn them in to be translated. The brethern want to make sure that they are relaying the message TO THE WORLD that the Lord would have they give. They love us that much. I urge you all to take the time to prepare. Fast, pray. I invite you to think of two questions, one of a doctrinal nature and the other of a personal nature. Heavenly Father is eager to answer the questions that we have. General Conference is a perfect time to open the portals to heaven and seek out personal revelation from our Heavenly Father.

I have a testimony of this gospel. I wouldn't be here if I didn't. Being a missionary is hard. But seeing the light bulb go off in someones mind makes it all worth it. I am bringing others unto Christ. There is no better pass time. 

I hope you are all doing well! Look for opportunities to serve. Invite you friends and neighbors to watch conference with you! :) 

I love you and miss you!


Sister Kimball :)

No comments:

Post a Comment