Tuesday, March 26, 2013

March 25, 2013


Hi All,

This week was much better than last. I might go as far as saying the best week of my mission so far! It was just full of so many exciting things and the work in our area was on fire. It is so funny how things can change so much one week to the next or one day to the next or even one hour to the next. Since I was sick i was determined to make this last week really count since I was feeling good. We had neglected some people and I wanted to make sure that we got back on track and worked hard to get where we wanted to be. It is amazing how hard work pays off. It is not easy but the rewards and satisfaction that come is so worth it. I made a personal goal to work my very hardest and really truly give everything I have to the Lord and His cause. And results came.

We met with L almost every night this past week. After zone activity on Monday we headed over to teach her Lesson 1:The Restoration with our ward mission leader. We got there around 7 and the sun was just about down. We quichly realized that she didn't have a ceiling light and we were basically sitting in the dark. We used a hall light and flashlight to read. There is never a dull moment on the mission. The most amazing thing was the Spirit works the same in darkness or light. We were able to give the lesson in the same way we prapared regardless of how bright the room was. She was very receptive to the lesson and talked about a ward feeling she feels. We heled her understand that is the Spirit and to continue to recognize it as she reads and prays. We committed her to be baptized on April 7 (conference weekend I know craziness) and she accepted. We were able to teach her lessons 2 (the plan of salvation),3 (the gospel of Jesus Christ), the 10 commandments, and the law of chastity this week. She accepted every commitment we gave her. She said that Heavenly Father is helping her learn and she knows she is on the right path. In a prayer that she said closing one of our lessons she said "I know that you have opened a door for me to learn from these two sisters and I AM DEFINITELY GOING TO GO THROUGH THAT DOOR." It was music to our ears to hear her say that. She blows me away with her understanding of the gospel principles we teach her and her commitment to follow Jesus Christ. Heavenly Father has been preparing her for a long time. I can tell this because she is so ready and willing to change and learn. She asks us inspired questions just as we asked her. She has incredible faith. She has been such an example to me. She loves to serve others and is always looking for opportunities to help those that need it. Being new to California, coming to church has helped her find a place that she belongs where she can make friends. It has been an awesome experience to watch her progress. I can't wait to see her enter the waters of baptism and make sacred covenants with our Heavenly Father. I really can't think of anyone who is more ready and deserving of the gift of the Holy Ghost than L. We had the opportunity to go with her to a Temple tour on Saturday at Newport Beach Temple. She loved it. She said she felt that same warm feeling she feels when she prays, goes to church, and meets with us. She said as we were ouside on the temple grounds touring ' I'm not feeling warm from the sun but from the things they are saying'. The holy Ghost is witnessing the truthfulness of the gospel to her and she is recognizing it. It is an incredible thing to watch. I just love her so much. She was already talking about the opportunity she'll have after she is baptized to do the work for her parents, husband, and son that passed away. She listens and she internalizes everything. She is incredible.

We met with S a 17 year old referral from the Spanish elders twice this week and she is so interested in learning about the gospel. She has been attending young womens with a member of one of the other wards in our stake and wants to learn more. We taught her lesson 1 and 2 this week. As we taught her the Plan of Salvation we invited her friend to come as well. It was such a strength to have the friend bear her testimony and be there as a support. S has a lot of questions but she is willing to keep our commitments. We asked her to read a chapter from the Book of Mormon and pray about it. She accepted and turned to her friend immediately and asked if they could read it together the following day at lunch. She is amazing. Heavenly Father is putting elect people in our path. We have a lesson with her tomorrow and can't wait to hear her expereince of reading the Book of Mormon and praying to know if it's words are true and if Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. We expended a baptismal date for April 14th which she accepted. We are working toward preparing her to be ready for that day. She is very promising and I look forward to working with her more. I can say confidently that we will have two new converts by April 14th!!
The R family hasn't been to church in two weeks and we were unable to visit them on Thursday like usual because they got called into work. It is always scary when people fall off the map for a while. We are hopeful that we can meet with them this week and figure out what is going on and remotivate them. The C family who is less active came to church on Sunday and they said it always feels so good to be there and feel the Spirit. I heard from a ward member that Brother C said they would be seeing more of him and his family when he introduced himself in elders quorum.

We have a sisters lunch tomorrow that they nickname "Princess Party". It's where all the sister missionaries get together for lunch and training. It is a time when we can all meet and have fun being girls. We can feel of eachothers strength and learn from each other. I am so excited to be able to see the sisters I was with in the mtc. It has been awhile and it will be fun to catch up.

I am also going to exchanges again this week for two days with a Spanish sister. I am a little nervous since she is new to the mission and barely started training 2 weeks ago, not to mention  that I speak no Spanish and don't know her area at all. It will be interesting and we will work it out. One of those opportunities to learn and exercise faith I guess. Maybe I will experience the gift of tongues. you never know. I will definitely have her teach me some basics during language study. I am excited to go to a new area and see what it is like. I am hoping that the sister I am with is somewhat confident in her Spanish or it is going to be a very interesting couple days.

I got a letter from my Grandpa Kimball a couple weeks ago telling me that his sisters granddaughter was coming to the Anaheim California mission. I was so excited to meet her and figured I wouldn't have the chance before sisters lunch. She was at the temple tour and we both recognized each other right away and ran up and embraced. She has been struggling and I was so glad that I could be there and tell her that it's hard for everyone at the beginning. Who would ahve thought two second cousins would serve in the same mission and meet for the first time as sister missionaries. She is so cute and I am excited to get to know her better.

Life is good. I love being a missionary. I love dedicating all my time to bringing others unto Christ.

Remember how important being a member missionary truly is! Be a good example and look for opportunities to bear your testimony!

LOVE YOU ALL! Have a wonderful week!

Sister Kimball :)

No comments:

Post a Comment