Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Week 2 - January 29, 2013

Greetings from the MTC!

I can't believe I have been here for two weeks and I am leaving for Anaheim a week from today. The days feel like weeks and the weeks feel like months. I am literally on the go from 6:30 -10:30 everyday. I am tired all the time but you just get used to it. I can't explain it in any other way than the journey here is an emotional roller coaster. I am slowly learning that they kind of tear you down in order to build you back up. It is a humbling process. I am coming to a realization that I am not the best teacher but when I teach with the Spirit I do so much better. I was called on to speak in sacrament meeting this week. We are all required to write a 3-5 minute talk each week on a certain topic. This week it was on finding faith in Jesus Christ. Usually being called up with no warning would freak me out but I wasn't nervous at all. In two weeks I have become used to sharing a principle of the gospel and my testimony at the drop of a hat. Faith has become one of my favorite topics of all. We can literally do nothing without it. We must put our trust in the Lord and follow His example. It is an action word. Like is says in the scriptures, "faith with out work is dead". I know that this is true. When I am nervous for a lesson with my progressive investigators and don't feel like I am prepared and don't think that I can do well I don't. But when I do all I can and trust that the Spirit will be there with me I know what to say and I can relate to the investigators much better. One of our investigators names is Roland. He is a film student that grew up Catholic and has a belief in God and a desire to follow him. He opened up about an addiction problem that he has been struggling with. We taught him about the atonement and explained that he could repent. I could see the hope return to his eyes. As we explained baptism and the remission of our sins I knew that it was exactly what he needed. Inviting him to follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized by someone holding the priesthood authority of God was an incredibly powerful experience. Hearing him accept this invitation was literally music to our ears. I have gained such a testimony of the power of faith and prayer. Sister Sowards and I pray all the time. As do I on my own. There is nothing like being in constant contact with God.

On a more humorous note, we had quite the experience earlier this week on Tuesday night. We all went to bed as usual not knowing that we were in for a weird and unfortunately funny experience. I woke up to a strange noise at about 1am. It took me awhile to realize that Sister Sowards was throwing up. She was so sick and since she was on the top bunk didn't have time to make it to the bathroom. I asked her is she was okay and before she could respond she ran to the bathroom. I followed after her to see if she was okay. She said this was the second time she had been sick tonight. Our other roommates were up at this point. One called the front office and told them what was going on. Before she could finish the call she had to run to the bathroom and be sick herself. It is awful but we all couldn't help but laugh. The two sick sisters went to the main office together to meet with a doctor. Sister McKay and I were left behind to figure out what to do with the throw up. Our room smelt awful. We were told that someone would be sent to clean up the mess. We didn't know where to go. We finally decided to move our mattresses into the hallway. Right as we were laying back down a couple security guys come around the corner. They were the ones sent to deal with the mess. We felt so bad for them. They looked like a few BYU students. We lead them to the mess and apologized that they had to clean it up. As they looked through the supply closet and tried to figure out what to do we overheard them talking. One said to the other "Dude we should just vacuum it up!" The other responded, "you can't vacuum up barf." Sister McKay and I got the giggles so bad. It was a weird night to say the least. In the morning the girls were still sick and we had a day off to stay with them. I was able to go on splits and make it to my afternoon classes which was nice. Luckily, Sister Sowards is doing better. We said a lot of prayers on her behalf. And as if that wasn't depressing enough to other members of our district had the same stomach virus. We were falling apart. Elder Noall from our district was sent home for medical reasons. He is losing sight in his right eye and they think he might have a tumor. We all took it pretty hard. He stayed so faithful though. As I said my goodbyes he looked me in the eye and said "You will see my in Anaheim sometime. I know it. The Lord has a work for me to do." His faith was so inspiring. The people here are so dedicated to serving the Lord. It is amazing to be surrounded by such incredible spirits and testimonies.

My time is always short. This was a blink in my week but two of the things that stuck out the most. I am becoming more confident in my abilities. All things are possible with the help of the Lord. Every second of everyday has taught me something. There is value in the good and the bad times. I have witnessed miracles. Although, small they were the hand of God working in my life. I challenge all of you to do the same. Look for the hand of God in your life every day. I know it's there you just have to be aware. God loves us all. He knows our trials. Turn to Him in all things. The gospel is true. It changes lives. It's already changed mine and affected me in these two weeks.

I love you all!

Sister Kimball

p.s. I love hearing from you. I might not email again until I am in California since I leave on my P day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment