Monday, June 10, 2013

June 10, 2013

Hi All,

Well I survived my first week training. I can not tell you how nervous I was all day Tuesday leading up to when it was finally time to go and pick up my greenie. Of course she was one of the last ones to be interviewed. I didn't have to be there until 4pm. I was with the other sisters from my zone and they took good care of me. They kept encouraging me and best of all distracting me. As we walked into the mission office I was so overwhelmed. I saw one sister in the midst of a bunch of elders. And my first thought was...I hope that is my new companion. I waited impatiently for the AP's to come and introduce me to my new companion officially. She was the only sister there so I assumed she was my trainee but I didn't want to assume anything but in the end of course it was.  

Sister T is an adorable 20 year old from Nampa, Idaho. She grew up on an alfalfa farm and was home schooled until college. She's done two years at BYUI. For being home schooled her whole life she is very outgoing. She was always involved in sports, seminary, and church which helped her feel part of the community as well. She is the oldest of 5. Although, we have only known each other for a week we have quickly come to recognize that we have a lot of weird similarities and our differences compliment each other. We both love pickles and slim jims. We both don't eat breakfast until late morning. We both have one brother. And other things I can't remember off the top of my head. 

I made it known early on that I was nervous and not the perfect missionary. But I also told her that I have a testimony that Heavenly Father qualifies us to the callings we are given and that I know true success comes from hard work and obedience. She knows why she is here and has been great at getting right to work. Heavenly Father has blessed me so much with Sister T. She is truly an answer to my prayers. I prayed every night that I could be the kind of trainer that my new companion needed and that she would be teachable and she is and I think we are a great fit. When I saw all the trainers with their new companions my testimony was strengthened so much. I truly could see the inspiration that went into each companionship. Although, I am still unsure of things it is a blessing to be a trainer. We took a lot of time going though our Area Book and finding potential/former investigators, less active/part member families, and members from the ward that we want to target. We are working to be efficient and effective. We are both organized and methodical thinkers. It takes time to get things in order but in the end will save us from wasting time because we have a system to work by. 

Overall it has just been a good week. I have been calm and happy. It is hard work and stressful at times but Heavenly Father is providing a way for us to be successful. 

As far as our investigators go..
A was baptized and confirmed on the 1st and 2nd of June. She is doing well and we have talked to her home/visiting teachers to set up a time to teach her the recent convert lessons. A has such a strong testimony. The Sunday after her baptism (the next day) she fasted for the first time and paid her tithing. She is so willing to follow the commandments. Her faith is such an example to me.
The D girls have been coming to church for the past three Sundays and they are progressing beautifully. The problem is the mom has slowly become less involved. We need to help her understand that she is an important part of her daughters conversion and that the gospel blesses families. We have invited her to church but she is slow to commit. We plan to talk things out with her at our visit on Thursday and explain that the message that we have is just as much for her as it is for her kids. We are hopeful that she will see the change in her girls and their love for the Savior. 
A is a man of many loose promises. He says he will do things but when we follow up he never seems to have followed through. We have been working hard to get him to church. Since he is wheelchair bound we told him we would come and walk with him and he agreed. We showed up at his house yesterday morning and he was still in bed. We have extended a few different baptismal dates that keep passing because he won't attend church or commit to various other things we ask him to do. We have had a member coming with us which has been a huge support. We were discussing things with him yesterday and determined that we need to ask A once and for all what his intentions of progression are. It has come to the point where he agrees to the things that we teach but time and time again is not taking action. Hopefully with the help of the Spirit we will be able to get through to him. He is so ready he is just lazy. 

We have our work cut out for us but we are excited and ready to find those that the Lord has prepared! I can't believe that I am almost a 1/3 done with my mission. Time goes by so fast. I have realized that I want to make every second count. This is the Lords work that I am doing!!

I hope you all are doing well and have a wonderful week!!
Love you all,



Sister Kimball

No comments:

Post a Comment